The art of the possible
Helping you to achieve career and leadership success – releasing your potential within a balanced and fulfilled life
Coaching – what is it and how can I help?
I offer a coaching experience that seeks to enable you to aspire to, and achieve, your career and leadership dreams but also reflects and respects the person you want to be – living and working to your heart-felt values and beliefs. As an educationalist, I believe passionately in the value of learning for career and life development and that your learning should receive the recognition you deserve. My holistic approach considers all the elements of your life with achieving balance and fulfilment as a core aspiration – becoming your authentic self. You can be assured of a safe, empathetic and respectful experience with confidentiality at the heart of the process.
Coaching offers more than a useful ‘sounding-board’ to help decide on potential choices, or a ‘barometer’ to place a value on those options. It provides an opportunity for you to reflect on issues outside of the normal hurly-burly, considering them from different perspectives. I am constantly surprised how this can lead to ‘a-ha’ moments of magic.
‘Working with Richard was an incredibly valuable experience. Through a series of meetings, Richard helped me gain a clear sense of direction and helped me appreciate the journey I would need to embark on to achieve what I was now working towards.‘ (Associate Professor)
Coaching is a co-partnership where we will both learn and develop alongside each other as part of the process – you are in the driving seat and I’m by your side, guiding you on the possible routes. I will challenge you but with positive outcomes in mind. I tend to use a variety of creative techniques to help you explore work related issues but this will always be on your terms and I’m sure you will enjoy the experience. Coaching is a powerful approach and will lead to desired ‘change’ even if the nature of that change is often not what was expected.
Our responsibilities for addressing climate change
Climate change is the greatest challenge that will impact on all areas of our lives. I believe all leaders and individuals can, and should, contribute to addressing this challenge and coaching can help to formulate our thinking – ready for a paradigm shift in how we all live.
Coaching with me is ideal if you:
• want to explore future career options and pathways, in the medium to long term – maybe you’ve become a little ‘stuck’ or are not sure which direction to take in your career
• support your leadership development, such as becoming more strategic, or building a higher performing team, or becoming a more effective leader, or further developing an emotional intelligent approach
• increase revenues, add market value, meet (or even exceed!) your targets
• wish to consider specific projects at work and help you to decide options, actions to take and how to judge success
• feel you are being ‘held back’ in some way – unable to really meet your full potential
• struggle with issues of self-confidence and/or feel like an imposter who will be ‘found-out’, want to be more effective in meetings and/or grow your chairing skills
• are dealing with a difficult person at work, as a leader or report-to – particularly useful for those one-to-one ‘difficult’ conversations where you can rehearse an approach or even ‘vent’ your true feelings!
• Just want to really get a better work/life balance
My coaching is relevant for all business sectors but I have deep knowledge of Higher Education and can help with, to name just a few areas: leadership development (including strategy and policy); building partnership and collaboration between business/public sector and universities (Knowledge Exchange); coaching for management and leadership apprenticeships; support for students; assessing graduate talent for recruiters; development of internal coaching practices; the academic’s skills and competences, etc.
Richard’s guidance has contributed a lot to me finding a way forward. He is a great listener and created a comfortable environment in which I was able to speak freely about my concerns and made pertinent questions or comments that helped me make decisions.’ (Marketing Manager)
Interested? Let’s have a chat about your needs. I will always be honest with you about whether I think coaching is the right approach for you at that time. It is also really important that there is the right chemistry between us so I offer a free first session as a taster with no obligation on either of us.